Market Highlights

Market Highlights

Will The Indian Festival Season Usher in Cheer?

The COVID-19 curve seems to have flattened and is now showing a welcome sign of retreating as the number of new cases shows a declining trend. Mirroring this good news is the country’s trade which is improving. But the country still has to tread with caution. The lockdown, first imposed in March 202...

Palm Oil in SSA – a Situational Analysis on Major Regional Importing Countries

From January to August 2020, the Sub-Saharan Africa region imported a total of 1.69 million MT of Malaysian palm oil, an increase of 36.91% compared to the same period on the previous year. Western and Eastern Africa saw an increase in imports while Central and Southern Africa saw a drop in imports....

Myanmar : Malaysian Palm Oil Opportunity in the Land of Gold

Background Since Myanmar opens its door to foreign investment in 2011, the country has transformed from a quiet and isolated nation to a vibrant and fast-moving nation. The country has become a magnet to foreign investment. In 2010-2011 the foreign investment increased 6567% to USD20 billion from US...

Misconception of Palm Oil‘s Health Attributes in Middle East Market

The Middle East Market consumed 8 million MT of oils and fats annually.  The consumption basket is divided among various oils, but sunflower, palm oil and soybean oil accounted for 76% of the total oils and fats consumed in the region.  The remaining 24% are shared by butterfat, rapeseed o...

Rapeseed Situation in China and Its effect on Palm Oil Import

The most populous nation in the world has an exquisite cuisine taste that is loved by many regardless of geographical identity. One of the major oilseed crops in China, the rapeseed or locally known as yóucài has a deep impact on Chinese culinary arts due to its mild taste, high smoking point, and r...

Sub-Saharan Palm Oil Import Duties and Its Impact on Palm Oil Imports

Besides raising revenue for the governments, import duties are often used to give market advantage to domestic production. Tariffs are widely employed as a policy instrument to promote the domestic edible oil sector but the evidence of their impact is mixed. This article will discuss various import ...

Oil Palm Expansion Programme: Will India Achieve Its Target to Reduce Import Dependency?

The global oils and fats consumption has grown at a compounding annual growth rate of 3.8% for the past 10 years, which led to oils and fats requirements of 237.56 million MT in 2019. Limited land and growing needs for other agricultural crops have resulted in inadequate production of oilseeds which...

Taiwan – A Resilient Market of Malaysian Palm Oil

With a population of 23.8 million, Taiwan consumed 860,000 MT of oils and fats in 2019. Soybean oil and palm oil are the main consumed edible oils with a share of 52% and 26% respectively. Soybean oil is the most produced oil in the Taiwan with an average production was 460,000 MT yearly for the [&h...

Exploring Palm Oil Market in Latin America and the Caribbean

The profitability of oil palm crops in the tropical climates of Latin America and the Caribbean is drawing increasing interest. In 2019, the region accounts for 6.2% of global palm oil production (Expert Market Research, 2019). At the same time, some countries within the region rely on palm oil impo...

The Scourge of Adulteration in India

Consumption of edible oil is one of the basic needs of society. The affluent sections of society purchase this commodity in bulk as part of their grocery shopping list. This purchase is in convenient packets of ½ kilograms and other higher bulk weights. But a vast majority cannot afford bulk purchas...

Stay In Touch

Stay In Touch