BAKED BREAKFAST EGG WITH SLAMON IN FILO PASTRY
Baked breakfast egg with salmon in filo pastry
Seafood dreams come true here, as two great favourites come together in a burst of flavours to excite the senses and enchant the taste buds. Simple-marinated salmon allows for its naturally sweet fish flouring to permeate its crisp filo pastry crust when baked with egg, and is served alongside a peppery salad of arugula leaves in Japanese soyu. Even more decadent, and infinitely prized amongst gourmet lovers is black caviar, which is here, served alongside deep-fried eggplant cubes. Generally considered a great delicacy to savour, black caviar is essentially processed and salted sturgeon roe, with a unique taste that justifies why it is so prized. If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, this delightful recipe certainly proves it.
For baked egg with salmon
- 220 g salmon (30 g x 12 pieces)
- 8 nos egg
- 5 g salt
- 3 g black pepper, powdered
- 50 g filo pastry (15 cm x 15 cm)
- 50 g butter
- 120 g arugula salad
- 40 ml Japanese soyu
- 80 ml palm oil
For eggplant with black caviar
- 120 g eggplant, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 200 ml palm oil
- 8 g shallot, sliced
- 3 g garlic, finely chopped
- 8 g brown sugar
- 8 g sherry vinegar
- 40 g black caviar
- 5 g salt
To prepare baked egg with salmon in filo pastry.
- Spread one sheet of filo pastry out on a clean work surface. Butter both sides of this first sheet, than lay on a second sheet of pastry. Butter the second sheet of filo pastry before laying on a third sheet; butter this one, too. Repeat until you have four sets of tripIe-Iayered and buttered filo pastry.
Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
Prepare four circular ring moulds, each about 10 to 11 cm in diameter. Arrange buttered filo pastries into the moulds, one three-layered piece per mould. Place sliced salmon atop filo pastry, allowing for three pieces per mould. Crack eggs onto salmon, allowing for one egg per mould. Place into preheated oven to bake at 16O°C for 10 minutes.
Place arugula salad in mixing bowl and toss with soyu and palm oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To make eggplant caviar.
- In palm oil, deep-fry the eggplant until golden brown, then drain. Sauté the shallots and garlic until just coloured, then stir in brown sugar and allow to caramelise. Deglaze with sherry vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes, before gently mixing in the eggplant.
- Remove baked egg and salon pastries from their moulds and plate with arugula salad. Scoop eggplant over egg and follow with black caviar.