BREADED GREEN TOMATO WITH BUFFALO MOZZARELLA CHEESE
Breaded green tomato with buffalo mozzarella cheese
A general favourite with Italian cuisine, buffalo mozzarella gains its name from its source; it is made with the milk of water buffaloes, rather than that of cows. Its production remains, to this day, one of the most important industries in Italy, where it is commonly enjoyed in pastas, pizzas, grilled breads, and on its own with just a dash of olive oil. The simplicity of its soft, milky flavour, as well as that of its tender texture is perfect alongside the tangy green tomatoes. Deep-frying in palm oil yields results as no other oil will, allowing for it to become nothing short of one amazing bite.
- 3 green tomatoes
- 2 buffalo mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 100 g semi-dried tomato
- Dry oregano
- White breadcrumbs
- A few Kalamata olives
- White flour for coating
- Palm oil for deep frying
- Line a large tray with absorbent paper. Wash green tomatoes and slice thickly. Place tomato slices on lined tray and season with salt. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Remove buffalo mozzarella from water and slice. Crack and beat eggs in a bowl, then set by flour and breadcrumbs in preparation.
- Sandwich a slice of mozzarella in between two slices of tomatoes. Season the centre with salt and dried oregano, then cover the entire mini-sandwich in flour. Dip in egg mixture, then roll over breadcrumbs to cover.
- In a warm frying pan, heat up enough palm oil for deep-frying, then fry both sides of the tomato sandwich. Remove when cooked, drain over kitchen wipes.
- Serve garnished with rucola salad, Kalamata olives, and semi-dried tomatoes.