VEGETABLE AND FRUIT ROJAK, CHINESE STYLE
- 2 slices of melon – either rock, honey dew etc
- 2 slices of firm Papaya
- ½ yam-bean
- 1 roasted duck breast
- 1 bundle of Spring onions
- 2 croissants
- 1 carrot
- 1 mango
- 1 cup red palm oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp crushed Peanuts
- Slice the melon, papaya and all the other fruit, spring onions.
- Slice the croissants and shred the duck breast.
- For the dressing mix all ingredients but the peanuts.
- Arrange all the ingredients on a serving plate drizzled with the dressing and sprinkle with the peanuts.
RED PALM OIL, POMEGRANATE AND ROSEMARY CHICKEN
- 2 split chicken breast
- 3 shallots – diced finely
- 5 cloves of garlic – bruised with the skin on
- 1 tbsp smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp sweet pomegranate syrup
- 1 tbsp red palm oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix palm oil, shallot, pomegranate syrup, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the marinade; push some under the skin with garlic cloves. Cover with cling film an leave to marinate overnight for the best flavour infusion.
- Heat the frying pan and fry the skin side down first. cook on both sides for 8 – 12 minutes (or until thoroughly cooked) basting with the rest of the marinade and red palm oil.
- Rest for a few minutes before slicing and serve with salad or mash.
SALMON CONFIT IN PALM OIL WITH CUCUMBER AND ORANGE DRESSING
- 4 salmon fillet – approximately 100gm each
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp chopped lemon verbena
- 1 tbsp crushed roasted cumin
- 1 pinch of rock salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- ½ grated lemon zest
To cook the salmon,
- 400 ml red palm oilsprings of herbs
FOR CUCUMBER SALAD
- 2 cucumber – sliced into ribbons without the core
- 4 oranges – segmented
- 1 tbsp red palm oil
- 1 orange – juiced
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard few springs of herbs
a pinch of salt
- Cure the salmon with the rest of the ingredients and marinate for at least an hour.
- Wash off the marinade, pat dry and place in a flat plate and keep in the refrigerator until needed.
- To cook the salmon, line a shallow frying pan with a greaseproof paper, pour in the oil and heat to 42 degrees C and confit the salmon for 25 minutes making sure to maintain the temperature.
- Lift out the salmon and drain on grease proof paper.
- To prepare the cucumber salad, make the dressing by mixing the palm oil, orange juice, mustard and salt.
- Mix the cucumber ribbons and herbs with the dressing and serve with the salmon.