Date: 22 March 2023
Time: 12.00 pm – 2.00 pm
Venue: Anugerah Hall, Level 14, West Wing, KPJ Ampang Puteri Specialist Hospital, Selangor
A Palm Oil Health Awareness CPD Lunch Talk was held at KPJ Ampang Puteri Specialist Hospital, Selangor on 22nd March 2023. This is also the first event conducted in a hospital. The aim of this programme is to extend the outreach for medical and health professionals of KPJ Ampang Puteri Specialist Hospital, to broaden their understanding of Malaysian palm oil and its latest research findings. 66 participants attended the event (including doctors, consultants, nurses and other hospital staffs).
The programme started with opening remarks by Dr. Ruslan Abdullah, Director of Science, Environment & Sustainability.
Pic 1: Dr. Ruslan Abdullah giving opening remarks
The programme was then followed by two paper presentations:
- “Carotenoid-Rich Palm Oil and its Eye Health Effects” by Associate Professor Dr. Mah Siau Hui, Taylor’s University
- “Benefits of Palm Tocotrienols for the Aging Brain” by Professor Emeritus Dr. Yuen Kah Hay, Universiti Sains Malaysia
The first speaker, Dr. Mah, gave an overview of carotenoid-rich red palm oil and its benefits as compared to other types of vegetable oils. In her presentation, she shared on how carotenoids in red palm oil are stored and utilised in human body, specifically for good eye health.
The second speaker, Professor Yuen, is a pioneer researcher in palm tocotrienols. In his presentation, he shared with the participants the difference between vitamin E tocopherols and tocotrienols. Professor Yuen also shared the proven health benefits of palm tocotrienols, and he further elaborated on brain health, especially for the ageing population.
The Q&A was moderated by Dr. Ruslan Abdullah, and a few questions were asked by the participants, such as:
- How could vitamin E tocotrienols impact on stroke patients and improve their cognitive function?
- Can vitamin E tocotrienols improve on patients with fatty liver problem?
- Any correlation of vitamin E tocotrienols with gut microbiome?
- What is the timespan to retain the phytonutrients of used mesocarp?
- Was the increase in sales of vitamin E tocotrienols and carotenoids supplementation products during pandemic period due to the increased awareness of these nutritional vitamins on immunity improvement?
- Any correlation between palm tocotrienols with pontine or cerebral atrophy?
- Will our daily use of red palm oil under high temperature cooking (120 – 150°C) reduce the phytonutrients?
Interaction between participants and speakers during Q&A session.
Other than the seminar, mini exhibitions were also set up to display palm-based products, in which MPOC and two other companies took part – Profes Lipid Sdn. Bhd. (Harvist Red Palm Oil) and Hovid Sdn. Bhd. It was a good exposure for the participants, as they learned about different functionality of Malaysian palm oil, as well as the brands of palm-based products in the market.
Participants visiting mini exhibition (i.e. Hovid Sdn. Bhd., MPOC & Harvist)